Fire permits needed as of March 1st


Fire permits are required for any type of burning in the Forest Protection Area. Fire permits are free and can be obtained by calling your local Agriculture and Forestry office.

  • Slave Lake/Red Earth/Peerless/Trout 780-849-7377
  • Wabasca 780-891-3860
  • High Prairie 780-523-6619

By getting a fire permit you help keep our firefighters free to fight real wildfires instead of investigating the smoke in your backyard.

Although there is snow on the ground, the mild and dry winter conditions are favorable for holdover fires. A fire left smoldering can burn under the snow all winter long emerging as a wildfire in the spring. Do your part to prevent wildfires this spring.

Go back and check your winter burns to ensure they are extinguished. When checking your brush piles, spread around any remaining debris so you can probe the area for hotspots. Use your bare hand to feel for heat over the ash piles. If you see smoke or feel any heat, the fire is still burning beneath the surface. Douse any remaining hot spots with water and stir up the ashes. A fire is not completely extinguished until there is absolutely no heat emanating from the ashes.

Unless conditions change, you can expect your next wildfire update on March 17th.  

Leah Lovequist -Wildfire Information Officer

Mobile: 780.849.0945

Report Wildfires 310-FIRE (3743)

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on PinterestEmail this to someone